Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

27 Weeks



Pregnancy Highlights

How Far Along:  27 Weeks
Size of Baby:  Cauliflower (14.5 inch, 2 lb)
Name:  Braden August Samples (Bub, Bray, Gus)
Nicknames (Gma & Gpa W):  Snowball (type of cauliflower), Wee Willie (can be spelled from Cauliflower).
Weight Gain:  33.6 lbs
Exercise this Week:  3 days elliptical (ranging from 20-32 min), 1 day crazy house cleaning
Cheat Food This Week (Juice, Sweets):  didn't really know I'd be tracking this so I didn't keep track and can't really remember.  I'm certain I had a double scoop of Reese's Candy Bar Sundae at Braum's on Saturday and a bunch of cookies on Sunday. :(  Bad job!
Milestones:  Bub looks like a thinner, redder, more wrinkled version of what he will look like at birth, but in the next few weeks more fat will fill out his appearance.  His immune system is continuing to mature as are his lungs which are still practicing breathing amniotic fluid.
Symptoms:  swelling!, nosebleeds, back pain, heartburn, tiredness
Cravings:  Cookies.  That needs to stop.
Aversions:  meat
Recap of the Week:  TWO POUND BABY!  He's growing so fast and I love the milestones.  Took him SO SO long to reach a pound and now 5 weeks later, he's two lbs :) 
I have been waking up with super swollen hands every day (hardly able to bend my knuckles).  Had to remove my rings in fear they'd have to be cut off... :(
Tay felt Bub's kicks a few more times this week and saw him kick once!  On Sunday morning, I put my belly on his belly and Baby Boy kicked his Daddy's belly. :) 

Doctor appt this week.  I saw Dr. Gorman this week for the dreaded 28 week appointment (Rhogam Shot).  :)  Not that I really dread any appt's b/c I get to hear the little angel's heartbeat but the shot was really not very fun.  I arrived at the clinic from work (my appt was a little later than usual this time) after calling the dentist for an appt on the drive over. 

[side story:  my bottom permanent retainer fell out last night while I was apparently vigorously flossing :).  It left some uncomfortable and surprisingly sharp glue behind & I need to get this stuff off!  Really have to give the thing credit though since it's been in my mouth for around 12 years :) - extremely strange to feel my bottom teeth now.]

The first part of my appt was with the lab to get blood drawn.  I don't even know what for this time.  After waiting about 15 minutes, I was called to lab and they took blood.  I was sent back to the waiting room for my regular appt.  They called me back again after a while and took my blood pressure (good) and weight (not so much).  Then they put me in a room to wait (and wait, and wait, and wait, as I played lots of Words With Friends) for Dr. Gorman.  When he arrived, we went over my questions as detailed below:

Q: Extreme swelling of the hands... something dangerous or ok?
A:  Completely normal.  It just happens but you might be able to control it somewhat by eliminating salt.

Q:  After feeling funny (headache, lightheaded, etc), I took my blood pressure at home a couple of times & it was upper 140's over upper 80's.
A:  Not concerned at the moment but they will keep a watch on my BP at every appt.  No protein in urine, etc so doesn't seem to be a preeclampsia concern right now. 
(this is great news as I was starting to overly worry about it - preterm delivery, ETC)

Q:  frequent nosebleeds... ok?
A: (as he checks my chart).  It's normal for pregnancy and winter and it looks like your blood count is fine so nothing to worry about.
[also just normal for me in general so I figured this was prob ok but wanted to ask anyway since it's been FREQUENT, like every day.]

Q:  Have to go to the dentist, is there anything they can't do since I'm preg and may I get a medical release (requested by the dentist)?
A:  No X-Rays and there are instructions on the medical release.  Normal cleaning/checkup is perfectly fine.

Q:  Should I be counting kicks? (I know, I asked this last time too but it was a different doctor and I just wanted to make sure :) - I had heard baby should kick at least 10 times/hr)
A:  No.  (same answer I got last time).  Kicking is very inconsistent and baby may have active and inactive days/hours.  Just track if movement seems significantly decreased.  If so, lay on your side for a while and concentrate on the movements.  If still nothing, call/come in.


We then heard little one's hearbeat @ 140 bpm.  Dr. Gorman said "Sounds like a healthy little boy or girl!" He asked whether it was a healthy boy or a healthy girl & after I told him boy, he said it sounded like a healthy boy. :)

Further discussion by Dr. Gorman included weight gain.  I've been dreading this topic b/c I already know I'm gaining too much.  I really hate talking about it but figure I might as well post about it for some inspiration, etc...  He said that if I keep gaining at this rate, baby may be very large at delivery.  He asked about exercise and I told him I've been doing light exercise 3ish days/week on the elliptical.  He said this was great and will really help me to get in shape for delivery.  BUT, he said "make it 5 days/wk".  Which I can do.  I'm gonna have to start charting on this blog whether I'm working out the appropriate amount.  Gonna add a section now!  He also said to cut out salt and empty calories.  No soda (which isn't a prob anyway), no juice (which is a big prob), and no sweets (which I can live with).  Gonna track this also.  There was some credit given to water weight from the swelling, but I really want to be a healthy momma for a healthy baby!

Back to the more fun parts about the doctor appt.  And, yes, i find this topic MORE fun than weight.  I had to get my Rhogam shot this week (b/c I have A Neg blood type).  The doctor left and sent the nurse in to give my shot.  She told me to stand up and drop my pants.  Ok, maybe she said to just pull them down a little but I feel like being dramatic.  She then stuck me with the needle (which wasn't too bad) and started injecting the meds (which WAS bad).  I could feel the meds/antibodies/whatever it is burning throughout my booty and it's still sore.  She said, "Yeah, this isn't the most fun shot".  Understatement.  Looking forward to another after Bub is born but that one will be sweeter b/c I'll have a new baby to think about :)

3 comments:

Heather said...

I wish I coulda been there!!!! Maybe next time??? Glad Pumpkin's doing great! Just a couple months to go and I will have a NEPHEW!!!! (and coincidentally you will have a baby) LOL

Mrs. Fort said...

I was getting ready to go on a rant about what kind of nurse tells you to stand up and drop your pants, so I'm glad you cleared that up! Maybe we can go walking after work some days? I like to go to the HS to walk in the parking lot or the walking trail.

AJ said...

I'm proud of you for exercising!
Did you ever have the gardsill shots? They were awful. :-/ hope you don't have many more to endure! Can't wait to meet Baby Braden!

Post a Comment