Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

10 Weeks



Pregnancy Highlights

How Far Along:  10 Weeks
Size of Baby:  Prune (1.2 inch, .14 oz)
Nicknames (Gma & Gpa W): Kelsey/Pru (girl), Elliot/Sunny (boy).  Explanation:  Kelsey & Elliot are types of prunes & Sunkist brand of prunes (i.e. Sunny).  G-ma's boy baby was also kissed by the sun :) 
Weight Gain:  3.4 lbs total
Maternity Clothes:  Several times a week.. bought some more & I just love em :)  Pants only still - no maternity shirts needed (unfortunately)
Milestones:  The beginning of a critical period in baby's development when all the vital organs have formed and are beginning to function.  Baby is growing tiny fingernails and toenails and tiny buds for teeth.
Symptoms:  headaches, very tired, nausea every morning and every time I let myself get hungry, sore & popping joints (hips & groin have been very sore... hard to move around quickly).
Cravings:  banana peppers, hot sauce, sometimes chicken strips, Pizza Hut salad with creamy italian dressing.
Aversions: meat (still)!  If anything, i can eat chicken strips though :)
Recap of the Week:   First double-digit week and I'm loving it!!  Really big week for us too!  First, I had some spotting on Sunday - just a little but scared me to death.  There were crying, hysterics, etc.  Fast forward to Tuesday (Dr. Appt!!!!!!).  Tuesday morning, me & Tay woke up a little late (nice!) to be at my Dr. Appt. at Parkhill by 8:30.  I had been extremely nervous since Sunday on top of my normal insane worrying about everything else, but the morning had finally arrived!  Had to go to the bathroom (per my usual 20x per day) right when we got there and they had already called us back by the time I got out.  Luckily, Tay told them where I was & they were waiting on me.  First, they took my blood pressure (which was good!) and weighed me (see Weight Gain comment above) then they gave us a room.  Nurse was talking about what would be done at the appt today and mentioned pap, physical exam, hearing the heartbeat.  I asked if I had to have another pap since I had one in July and she said "NO" much to my relief (I bleed for a while every time I have one & didn't want the extra worry).  I changed into my lovely gown and Dr. Bailey arrived very quickly.  I told him right away about the spotting and he assured me that it happens in 1 out of 3 pregnancies and is usually fine but we would listen for the heartbeat shortly and check on the little one.  Also said if he couldn't find a heartbeat, he would send me for an ultrasound.  So, that made me glad and nervous at the same time.  He did the physical exam (checked uterus size, etc) and said everything looked good then he grabbed the dopplar to find the heartbeat.  He made sure to reassure me by saying "it may take a minute to find the heartbeat since little one is still so small".  With Tay in the chair beside me, Dr. Bailey but some gel on my tummy and got to work.  He found my heartbeat twice and twice said "nope, that's yours" and FINALLY (felt like forever while I was barely breathing) he found little one's heartbeat low on my belly.  He let us listen for a few seconds (not long enough for me or Tay - we discussed later) and said it sounded strong and was 160 bpm.  Taylor said "that means girl, right"?  [insert old wives tale:  above 140 bpm is girl, below 140 bpm is boy]  Dr. said "or a boy".  LOL.  He does not seem to believe the old wives tale.  I researched it later and it has absolutely no scientific basis but still fun to guess :-).  Dr. Bailey then asked if we had any more questions and I read him my list while he patiently answered each one.  Things I've found on the pregnancy discussion boards and on the internet that have absolutely no basis in fact according to Dr. Bailey are:  1.  Proactiv not safe  2.  Shouldn't highlight your hair or use hair products  3.  Should sleep on your left side b/c there's a vessel on the right that can get squished and kill baby if you sleep on that side and you can also squish baby by sleeping on your back or stomach (LOL)  4.  Underwire bras are bad during pregnancy b/c damages your milk production.  Doctor was slightly amused by all of these and said they are all fine.  I told him I prob need to stop reading so much & he laughed and said "no, that's good".  Other questions I had were that my prenatal vitamin doesn't have iron and do I need to be taking a supplement.  Answer was "YES! You need iron".  He also recommended Expecta pills in addition to my prenatal vitamins.  So, I'll be adding both of those.  Finally, asked if I'll get to hear the heartbeat every time and the answer was a wonderful "Yes."  It was so unbelivable to hear little one's heartbeat.  Fantastic to have the first sign that everything is ok in there.  So, worry abated for one day and back to normal the next :)  That's just me but I'm very much trying not to stress and have faith that God will protect this little one.  Taylor told the doctor that I worry way too much :-)  I think I have a clearer picture of little one inside since hearing the heartbeat.  I truly can't wait till (s)he's actually here!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Testing Comments!!

Shannon said...

I love this! Wish I'd decided to do a weekly blog like this when I was pregnant with Ryleigh. :) Also, don't worry about the things you stress over, it's perfectly normal and to be honest as I read this I laughted because I had all the same concerns as you did and asked all the same questions of my Dr.!

Mrs. Fort said...

OK. I changed some settings and I'm trying to comment again. :)

Mrs. Fort said...

YAY!!! Now I will bug you with silly comments :)

AJ said...

Hooray!!! Im glad you created a blog!!! So exciting!!

THE BENNETTS said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I had heard through the grapevine at work that you were expecting and Taylor confirmed it last week. You will absolutely love being a mom! Love your weekly updates ... wish I documented so well :-)

Post a Comment